12 Month Wedding Planning Timeline
Having been a past bride myself and now being a wedding photographer, I know just how hard it is to find a detailed 12 Month Wedding Planning Timeline to help get started on planning a wedding!!!
So today I wanted to give you a detailed 12 Month Wedding Planning Timeline!
I’ve put a lot of research and have taken the time to put together this amazing detailed 12 Month Wedding Planning Timeline just for you to help you out!!!
12 Month Wedding Planning Timeline
11-12 Months Before
- Announce your engagement to family and friends!!!!!!!!
- Select your wedding date.
- Decide on your wedding priorities and set a budget.
- Start a separate folder for your wedding receipts and vendor contracts.
- Choose your wedding party.
- Start planning the guest list and organize addresses.
- Create an inspiration board.
- Reserve your venue(s).
- Decide on a wedding theme.
- Hire a wedding planner.
- Book your ceremony officiant.
- Book your wedding and engagement photographer!
- I recommend doing this step immediately after you set your wedding date! A good majority of photographers book a year out from a wedding date.
- Read my post on “Choosing the right wedding photographer for your wedding.”
- Book your wedding videographer.
- Read my post on “Should We Hire a Wedding Videographer Too?”
Not sure where to start to find your vendors?! View my “Recommended Southern California Wedding Vendors” list.
9-10 Months Before
- Have your engagement photos taken. (Tip: Most wedding photographers offer engagement sessions. Have your engagement photos done by your wedding photographer so you can get to know each other and to get comfortable working with them before your wedding day!)
- Read my post on “5 tips for planning your engagement session outfits.”
- Start shopping for your wedding dress! (Tip: take photos and bring supportive undergarments.)
- Book a caterer.
- Book your wedding florist.
- Start your wedding registry. (Online or in store)
- Finalize your guest list.
7-8 Months Before
- Shop for your bridesmaids’ dresses.
- Research wedding cake vendors and do tastings.
- Start researching options and locations for your honeymoon!
- Book your wedding band or DJ.
- Reserve a block of hotel rooms for out of town guests.
- Start your wedding fitness plan and set realistic goals. (Tip: Check www.beachbody.com for workouts. The 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme gave me AMAZING results!)
5-6 Months Before
- You’re halfway there! Set a pamper day for yourself and take some time off with your fiancé!
- Send out Save-the-Date cards. (Tip: Talk to your photographer about using engagement portraits for your save-the-date cards!)
- Shop for wedding bands.
- Send groom and groomsmen for suit/tuxedo fittings.
- Select attire for your flower girls and ring bearer.
- Arrange transportation for the wedding day for yourselves and your guests.
- Reserve rental furniture/equipment for the ceremony and reception.
- Book your hair and make up artist.
- Hire a designer or calligrapher and order your wedding invitations.
- Finalize honeymoon plans and book accordingly. (Tip: Create a honeymoon fund for excursions and extras on your trip!)
3-4 Months Before
- Mail out wedding invitations.
- Meet with your officiant.
- Attend pre-marital counseling.
- Select and order wedding cake.
- Research rehearsal dinner venues.
- Schedule a tasting with reception caterer.
- Create and order wedding favors and centerpieces.
- Purchase accessories for the ceremony. (Ring holder, candles, baskets, etc.)
- Choose what you’d like to do for your guests sign in or guest book.
- Tips: Talk to your wedding photographer about creating a “Engagement Photo Guest Book”. I offer these to my clients and it’s a great way to multipurpose your engagement photos and your guest book as well as making it more personalized and fun!
- Finalize dates for bridal showers and bachelorette parties.
- Create a song list for ceremony and reception.
- Choose readings and readers.
2 Months Before
- Write your wedding vows!
- Obtain a marriage license.
- Hire a designer or calligrapher and order your wedding programs.
- Book rehearsal dinner venue.
- Schedule hair and make up trial.
- Set an appointment for teeth whitening.
6-8 Weeks Before
- Collect RSVP’s and call guests who haven’t sent a response.
- Finalize the menu selection with your caterer.
- Finalize the flowers and bouquets with the florist.
- Order alcohol and beverages.
- Send rehearsal dinner invitations.
- Purchase gifts for bridesmaids, groomsmen, and family.
- Schedule necessary time off from work.
- Confirm date and time with all wedding vendors.
- Meet with your photographer to go over the wedding day photo timeline and shot list.
- Meet with your wedding planner to create the full wedding day timeline and to go over final details.
- Schedule appointments for manicures and pedicures for you, your bridesmaids, your mom, and your mother in law.
- Hire a designer or calligrapher to design seating plan and order it.
2-6 Weeks Before
- Have your final wedding dress fitting and break in your wedding shoes. (Tip: Be sure to wear chosen undergarments at your fitting!)
- Confirm final headcount with your venue and caterer.
- Send your caterer your final seating plan.
- Review music list with your DJ or wedding band.
- Confirm reservations for the honeymoon.
1 Week Before
- Have a ceremony rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Send a wedding day checklist and timeline to your bridal party, immediate family, wedding vendors, and any important people helping coordinate your wedding day. (Tip: Talk to your wedding planner and photographer about creating the wedding day timeline.)
- Reconfirm date, time, and venue information with all of your vendors. (Tip: Be sure to finalize delivery/pick up times.)
- Set aside tips in small envelopes for your vendors.
- Delegate tasks to wedding party and family members helping.
- Get a wax.
- Get a hair color and hair cut from your hairstylist for the wedding day. (Tip: Both you and your fiancé.)
- Pick up your dress.
- Get your engagement ring cleaned.
- Pack for your honeymoon. (Tip: Don’t forget all travel documents!)
- Breathe!!!! Take a moment to relax with your soon-to-be husband or wife!
1 Day Before
- Organize gown and accessories.
- Pick up suits/tuxedo rentals.
- Get a manicure and pedicure with bridesmaids, mom, and mother in law.
- Pack an emergency kit.
- Make sure that everything is organized and ready to go for the next day.
- Get an early night sleep and have sweet dreams!!!
- Get excited – you’re about to marry the love of your life!!!!!! (Tip: Be sure to plan a few special moments with your groom or wife to reflect throughout the day! This is extremely important!)
Be sure to sign up to grab your 12 Month Wedding Planning Checklist below!
Get instant access to the KIP Resource Library!
You'll get access to ALL of these amazing freebies to help you make your wedding day perfect!
>> Printable wedding planning timelines so that you can stay on track while planning your wedding.
>> My own personal KIP wedding day shot list so that you don't have to worry about missing a photo on your wedding day.
>> A workbook filled with questions that you need to ask wedding photographers at the consultation so you can see if they're the right fit for you.
>> Sample wedding day timelines, that are wedding planner approved, so that you can plan for the best photos on your wedding day!
>> A guide to learn how to plan a destination elopement so that you don't have to worry about missing a step or knowing where to start!
And so so so much more! New content is always being added just for YOU!