6 Month Wedding Planning Timeline
As promised last week I am sharing my 6 month wedding planning timeline this week for those newly engaged couples who are planning their wedding on a shorter timeframe than most! This timeline is great if you are a military couple or you just want to be married as soon as possible!!! (Who can blame you! I would too!!!)
A 6 month wedding planning timeline may be a quick timeline for getting all of the wedding details planned but with proper planning and a clear schedule, it’ll be easier to accomplish!
6 Month Wedding Planning Timeline
5-6 Months Before
- Officially announce your engagement to family and friends! (Yay!!! So exciting!)
- Set a date for your wedding.
- Set a budget and divide the costs.
- Read my post on “How to plan your wedding budget.”
- Create a guest list and organize addresses.
- Read my post on “Creating your guest list before you book your venue.”
- Reserve your reception and ceremony venue.
- Choose your wedding party. (Maid of honor, Best Man, bridesmaids, groomsmen, etc.)
- Read my post on “Tips on choosing your wedding party.”
- Book your wedding or elopement photographer! (This is crucial to get done ASAP!)
- Read my post on “Choosing the right wedding photographer.”
- Have engagement photos taken. (preferably by your wedding photographer so you’re comfortable working with them on the day of your wedding or elopement!)
- Read my post on “5 tips for planning your engagement session outfits.”
- Send out Save-the-Date cards.
- TIP: Talk to your photographer about this, most photographers are able to help you design your save-the-dates using your engagement photos and can order them from a professional lab for you so they look AMAZING!
- Build your gift registry online and/or in store.
- Decide on a wedding theme.
- Book an officiant.
- Shop for your wedding gown and get it ordered.
- Purchase or look into renting groom’s attire.
- Order attire for bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girls, and ring bearer.
- Book your videographer or cinematographer.
- Book your caterer, event stylist, and florist.
- Book wedding band or DJ.
- Contact rental companies for chairs, dishes, glassware, tables, linens, etc.
- Build an exercise plan and choose a healthy diet. Start implementing!
3-4 Months Before
- Order and mail wedding invitations.
- Order your wedding cake.
- Book hair and make up artist and schedule a trial.
- Finalize the menu selection with your caterer. (including beverages.)
- Purchase wedding bands.
- Book flights and accommodations for your honeymoon.
- Book hotel rooms for yourself and out of town guests.
- Arrange transportation for wedding day.
- Attend pre-marital counseling.
- Plan your rehearsal dinner and book venue.
- Send song list to DJ.
1-2 Months Before
- Obtain a marriage license.
- Write your wedding vows.
- Order ceremony accessories, wedding favors, and guest book.
- TIP: Talk to your wedding photographer about creating a Engagement Photo Guest Book album for a cute, fun, and memorable sign in for your guests! This is a product that I offer to my wedding and elopement clients too!
- Meet with photographer and videographer to finalize details and wedding day timeline!
- Collect RSVP’s and call guests who haven’t sent a response.
- Send rehearsal dinner invitations.
- Have your final dress fitting and break in your wedding shoes.
- Confirm date, time, and venue with all of your wedding vendors.
2-4 Weeks Before
- Confirm final headcount with your reception venue and caterer.
- Attend bridal showers and bachelorette parties.
- Create a seating plan and send to your caterer.
- Schedule necessary leaves at work.
- Finalize any last minute details with wedding vendors.
- Get final pre-wedding haircuts and color.
1 Week Before
- Confirm date, arrival time, and venue with all of your vendors.
- Confirm reservations for the honeymoon.
- Pack for your honeymoon!
- TIP: Don’t forget all of your travel documents! Make a list of everything.
- Set aside tips in small envelopes for your wedding vendors.
- Send the wedding day checklist and timeline to your bridal party, family, and any key people at the wedding who are helping keep it on track.
- Get a wax!
1 Day Before (it’s almost here!!!!)
- Organize gown and accessories.
- Get a manicure and pedicure with your ladies!!!
- Pack an emergency kit for the wedding day.
- Attend your rehearsal dinner.
- Take some time with your fiancé to sit back and relax together! You’re getting married tomorrow!!!
Get instant access to the KIP Resource Library!
You'll get access to ALL of these amazing freebies to help you make your wedding day perfect!
- Printable wedding planning timelines to help you stay on track while planning your wedding.
- My own personal KIP wedding day shot list.
- Tips on how to plan for your engagement session for the best photos!
- Questions that you need to ask wedding photographers to see if they're the right fit for you.
- Sample wedding day timelines for the best photos on your wedding day!
- How to plan a destination elopement!
- And so so so much more! New content is always being added just for YOU!