Never lose sight of the bigger picture: each other!
One thing I see and hear often from newly engaged or already married couples is how they don’t have time to spend quality time with their spouse or to go out on a date together.
I used to say the same thing. I’d make the excuse of “I’m too tired/I have to get up early” or “I have too much work to get done yet” or “We don’t have the money to go out on a date”.
What I didn’t realize at the time, that I realize now, is that I wasn’t putting my husband as my first priority. Instead I was putting everything else in front of him. Wedding planning (back when we were engaged), work, cleaning the house, etc.
I wasn’t setting aside specific time to just be together. Time to talk. Time to go out on a date. Or time to continue working on making our relationship stronger.
I lost sight of the bigger picture. I lost the sight that it was BOTH of us in this together and that US is what was most important.
It took me until my husband told me he wanted to join the Marine Corps (4.5 years into our marriage) for me to see the mistake I was making and that I needed to put my husband as my first priority above all else.
So I wanted to put out a gentle reminder today to all of you beautiful couples out there, whether you’re newly engaged or already married.
Never lose sight of the bigger picture. You’re BOTH in this TOGETHER.
Put your spouse FIRST and the rest after them. The wedding planning will still be there tomorrow. There will always be more work or more on your to do list to get done, it’ll still be there tomorrow too. We will always feel tired. We may not always have enough money to go out on a really “fancy” date, but you don’t have to spend money to spend time together.
Make sure you’re taking the time to really CONNECT with your spouse.
- Sit down and tell each other how you’re days went.
- Talk about how you’re feeling.
- Share something you’re excited about.
- Share your dreams or goals with each other.
- Go out to eat and have a conversation over good food or cook a meal together!
- Play games together.
- Share a beer or a glass of wine.
- Hold hands and snuggle.
- Tell each other how much you love each other and tell them the reasons WHY you love them!
- Share a funny joke you heard or seen.
- Laugh together.
- Be silly together.
- Plan a fun getaway together.
Put down your phone and unplug from social media for a few hours. That’ll still be there tomorrow too!
We only have one lifetime with the person we love the most. Make every moment count and never lose sight of the bigger picture!
Get instant access to the KIP Resource Library!
You'll get access to ALL of these amazing freebies to help you make your wedding day perfect!
- Printable wedding planning timelines to help you stay on track while planning your wedding.
- My own personal KIP wedding day shot list.
- Tips on how to plan for your engagement session for the best photos!
- Questions that you need to ask wedding photographers to see if they're the right fit for you.
- Sample wedding day timelines for the best photos on your wedding day!
- How to plan a destination elopement!
- And so so so much more! New content is always being added just for YOU!