Should We Wear Formal Engagement Outfits For Our Engagement Session?
My answer to that would be YES, absolutely! If you’re not overly dressy people, then my suggestion would be to do at least ONE formal engagement outfit for your engagement session, your second engagement session outfit can be more casual if you really want to have a casual outfit tied into your photos!
Why you might ask?
Well, there’s nothing quite like getting all dressed up for a very very special occasion to celebrate and your engagement session is exactly that, a special celebration of your love! So I highly recommend for all couples to at least choose ONE beautiful formal engagement outfit just for their engagement session! Like I said you can always add in another outfit that is more casual to give you more variety for your engagement session photos and to showcase your normal, every day style as a couple!
“But what if we’re not very dressy people? How are we supposed to choose formal engagement outfits for our session?”
It’s ok! I don’t want you to stress too hard about it! Choosing a formal engagement outfit can be as simple or as detailed as you want it to be! They don’t always involve Runway Gowns and Tuxedo’s, though they definitely can if you want to go all out, then by all means, GO FOR IT! It’d make for some absolutely STUNNING engagement photos!
However choosing your formal engagement outfits can be as simple as a beautiful dress with heels plus having your hair + make up professionally done, paired with khaki’s, dress shoes, and a nice button down + tie for your fiancé too! It doesn’t have to be overly complicated. It can be as simple or as detailed as you want it to be. Plus, shopping together can be fun!
If you’re still stressing about how you’re going to choose your formal engagement outfit, then I’d recommend chatting with your engagement photographer about it or maybe even consulting with a fashion stylist so you can for sure find the most absolute perfect formal engagement session outfit for your engagement session!
By choosing to wear formal engagement outfits for your engagement session it’ll do a couple things for you:
- You get a chance to get really dressed up AND you’ll have these awesome outfits that you can wear later too! Win win! Besides, how often get the chance to get this glammed up?! Not very often I’m guessing! Think of it like a fancy date night! (Which you can TOTALLY do after your engagement session by the way! Hint hint!)
- It sets the tone for your wedding and your wedding guests! It’ll give your wedding a more dressy + formal + upscale feeling! It also helps set expectations for what guests should expect to wear to your wedding if it’s more of a formal event! When they see the beautiful formal engagement outfits on your save-the-date cards they’ll see that it’s a more formal event and that they should dress up for it too!
- It’ll be a total confidence booster for you guys during the session! There’s nothing like wearing an absolutely gorgeous dress or suit that makes you feel like an absolute rockstar during your engagement session! Do you normally feel awkward in front of the camera? You won’t any more when you’re wearing that dress + he’s wearing that suit and rocking it in front of the camera! You will look and FEEL like total celebrities! Woot woot!
Did you love these engagement session tips?!?! Sign up below for the super awesome KIP Resource Library for more tips and awesome wedding planning advice!
Get instant access to the KIP Resource Library!
You'll get access to ALL of these amazing freebies to help you make your wedding day perfect!
- Printable wedding planning timelines to help you stay on track while planning your wedding.
- My own personal KIP wedding day shot list.
- Tips on how to plan for your engagement session for the best photos!
- Questions that you need to ask wedding photographers to see if they're the right fit for you.
- Sample wedding day timelines for the best photos on your wedding day!
- How to plan a destination elopement!
- And so so so much more! New content is always being added just for YOU!