When should we send out save-the-dates?
As a wedding and engagement photographer I get asked quite often by my KIP Couples “When should we send out our Save-the-Dates?”.
So today I’m going to answer that question so you know when you should send out your save-the-dates to your wedding guests!
The Most Common Times To Send Out Save-the-Dates
The most common timeframe to send out your save-the-dates would be 6-8 months before your wedding date if you’re wedding will be local.
If your wedding date lands on or near a holiday weekend you’ll want to allow a few extra weeks so that you’re guests can plan their holiday plans around your wedding date!
For destination weddings your save-the-dates will need to get mailed out 8-10 months before your wedding date! This will allow the guests who will be able to travel for it have time to make their travel plans and request time off of work to do so!
What You Need To Do Before You Order Them
There’s a few things that you’ll need to do first before you order and send your save-the-dates out to your guests.
- Have your wedding date and the city that you’re wedding will be held in figured out.
- Have your engagement session done with your wedding photographer so you can use those gorgeous photos for your save-the-date cards!
- (If you’re searching for your wedding photographer yet, we should TOTALLY connect!!!)
- Create your wedding website. This would be if you want to provide more information out to your guests right away then you can include the link on your cards.
- What to include on your save-the-dates:
- Your names
- Your gorgeous engagement session photos taken by your wedding photographer!
- The Wedding Date
- The location of your wedding or at least the city it will be in if you don’t know your venue yet.
- The link to your wedding website if you want to give your guests additional info for the wedding or to keep them updated as you go through your wedding planning.
- Send them to all of the guests you plan on inviting to the wedding and address them how you will be for your wedding invitations. You want guests to know upfront if they’re able to bring a guest or their kids.
- Don’t just send them out digitally. Not everyone is on social media or checks their email.
- Don’t include your wedding registry information on them. Save those for the invitations or the wedding website.
- Don’t use a font that is hard to read.
- Don’t order your save-the-dates from Shutterfly, Vistaprint, department stores or other instant print labs, or print them on your home printer. Remember, you want QUALITY cards that your guests will LOVE!
Where to Order Your Save-the-Dates
There’s a couple of places that I recommend ordering your save-the-dates from that are great to go through and have high quality cards!
- Through your wedding photographer is the number one option! They’ll custom design them for you and order them through one of their amazing professional photography labs so you know they’ll be high quality!
- www.mpix.com – This is a professional photography lab for normal every day consumers. It’s a branch off of one of the photo labs I use for my business! I highly recommend them!
- Wedding Stationer or Wedding Calligrapher – If you’re not using photos on your save-the-dates then I’d recommend going through one of these two wedding vendors! Check out my recommended stationers and calligraphers here.
Get instant access to the KIP Resource Library!
You'll get access to ALL of these amazing freebies to help you make your wedding day perfect!
>> Printable wedding planning timelines so that you can stay on track while planning your wedding.
>> My own personal KIP wedding day shot list so that you don't have to worry about missing a photo on your wedding day.
>> A workbook filled with questions that you need to ask wedding photographers at the consultation so you can see if they're the right fit for you.
>> Sample wedding day timelines, that are wedding planner approved, so that you can plan for the best photos on your wedding day!
>> A guide to learn how to plan a destination elopement so that you don't have to worry about missing a step or knowing where to start!
And so so so much more! New content is always being added just for YOU!